Wednesday, August 31, 2011

One More Day!

You know, there used to be a time when Japan was just a foreign country. They were far away, and they did things differently than I did, and that was kinda cool to me. Learning about their customs and their culture was exciting.

At that time, Japan was kinda how I see China now. Not in culture, but in the foreignness of it all. Filled with people speaking a language I didn't know, that didn't look like me, all with black hair, and different faces than I was used to. It was so different than me in so many ways. Even small things like riding a bike as an actual form of transportation (not just for kids), and the way the streets were laid out... this all made Japan something far away--something fundamentally foreign.

Now, looking at this video (I'll put it at the bottom), I look at it and I don't see something foreign. It doesn't seem so far away from me that it's like a "third world" anymore. It just seems natural and like the place I want to be. When I look at this video, the things there don't seem strange and exciting because they're a different culture; they merely seem exciting because I know it, and finally can be a part of it.

You know, there was a time when I became culture shocked, even all the way out here in the States. I didn't like Japanese culture. I wanted to study the language, but I didn't really want to deal with the "tateme" and "honne" culture, the "way I show people I am" and "the way I really am" culture (as well as several other jarring facets of the culture). But now--and maybe this is born out of naivety, since even though I've only been there for a month, studied about Japanese culture, and had Japanese friends, that probably isn't like being there for a long time--I don't feel so upset by it all. It just seems... well if not natural, then normal. Or if not normal for myself to participate in, then normal for myself to deal with.

--Caitlin

P.S. I LEAVE TOMORROWWWW!!!!


One Month In Tokyo from Eric Bates on Vimeo.

3 comments:

  1. *cough* Japan hasn't actually been "third world" for at least a hundred years, you know....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuggyne (Nathan?), Of course. I just mean so foreign to me that it might as WELL be a third world. Not that it IS third world.

    ReplyDelete