Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Two Days Left!

Problem:
You are female.
You are moving to a different country.
You have a limited amount of space.
You have a limited amount of weight that can go in that space.
And the airlines are stupid and give you a large amount of weight for a small bag (45lbs), and a slightly bigger amount of weight for your bag that's twice as big (50lbs)...

Guess who's going to have to pay money for going over the 50lb weight limit???

Okay, in all seriousness, though, I THINK I'm going to be able to keep everything below the weight limit. However, yesterday I went shopping for some clothes to look sufficiently Texan, and now I have to stuff more clothes in there. And I'm going to end up wearing my cowboy hat and boots on the plane. And I'm probably going to get funny looks. But such is the price you pay if YOUR BOOTS WEIGH 25 LBS.

Okay, I'm exaggerating. Slightly. But seriously, that's not going into my suitcase. It CAN'T. My suitcases are already packed to the point of no return.

Yakkan shoumei guys. It's like, "Hi, we're Japan, and WE DON'T BELIEVE IN MEDICATION. WE ARE SAMURAI AND WE MUST ENDURE WITHOUT YOUR PETTY MEDICATION. Oh, you're foreign and you need medication? YOU CAN'T GET IT HERE!! HAHAHAHA! Well, I suppose you inferior foreigners might need those kinds of things. We permit you to bring your medication. Just don't feed the children." And then you have to send in a form (the yakkan shoumei) and get it all approved to bring it all at once.

Actually, the Japanese are pretty lax about that. Even medication that they don't permit to be sold in Japan you can bring in, as long as you don't bring in stimulants. You know, like Sudafed (DANGER, DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!). Actually, the process was pretty easy, and even with a minor hangup (I forgot to sign the bottom), everything was in and out in around a week. The biggest problem is *dun dun dun!!* The Insurance Company.

What? You need medication to go over to a foreign country? We only permit you to bring 6 months at a time!! Oh, but first we'll TELL you that 11 months is all fine and dandy, tell you to call back in a few days, and then switch our story randomly. Now you have to be switched around to different departments 11 million times before they we'll finally be able to help you. Glimmer!

NOT THAT I WOULD KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE OR ANYTHING.

Okay guys. Two more days. 






--Caitlin

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget the belt buckle, gallon hat, spurs and a donkey, the horse might be too big for carry-on, I'm not sure, you might have to double check on that.

    Keita will just have to buy a lot less random things since he left half of his luggage to you lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc, are you kidding??? If I had enough room for a donkey, it'd already be filled up! There are a LOT of things I'm going to have to do without! Like, say, Yokirachelnatsumikaoriarielleemilyetcetcetc.

    Haha, Marc, I have the hat. And the belt. I thought about spurs, but I thought I probably couldn't bring them on the plane :P

    RIGHT??? Fortunately I got the okay to just leave them with a packing company to send to him, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So where are you gonna put all the stuff you get while you're down there? I mean I expect a full samurai outfit :)

    ReplyDelete